The Bower Adventure Course is an intensive 54 day wilderness leadership course for students ages 15-19. The students in this course come from a wide variety of backgrounds; in their faith, interests, family structures, abilities and experiences. This require the instructors to be extremely versatile in their interactions and instructions with the students. Because of the duration and physical demands of the course the instructors also need to have a very high level of grit and endurance to remain graceful and patient under high stress and in exhaustive circumstances.
The instructor has responsibility for teaching technical skills, leading Bible discussions and facilitating opportunities for students to develop leadership skills, along with other camp and expedition responsibilities.
There will be three weeks of instructor training before the start of BAC that will include training on both technical and soft skills. During sections of the course that require more technical skills you will have assistance from program coordinator, other guides and/or volunteers.
Season Commitment: May 29, 2018 – August 17, 2018
BAC Instructor Requirements:
- Christian faith
- 19 year of age or older
- Wilderness First Responder (provided by Peak 7 Adventures)
- CPR (provided by Peak 7 Adventures)
- Food Handlers Permit (Reimbursed by Peak 7 Adventures)
- Successful completion of Peak 7 Adventure’s BAC Instructors Course
- Previous experience as a guide or volunteer with Peak 7 (preferred)
- 2 year commitment for first year instructors (preferred)
- Excellent physical condition
- Doctors physical with in the last two years
- Commitment to Jesus Christ which reflects Christ in every aspect of his/her vocation and personal life.
- Previous Outdoor Leadership experience (desirable but not mandatory).
- Experience working with youth
- Knowledge and background in outdoor learning experiences.
- Reading “Mountaineering: The Freedom of the Hills” book
*This is a support raised position
If you have any other questions, please Contact Us.