The Bower Adventure Course is an intensive 50 day wilderness leadership course for students ages 15-19. Our vision with the BAC is to provide youth with the opportunity to explore their sense of identity while developing grit and perseverance. The key to creating that type of transformative experience for the youth on these trips starts with the guides for this course. That is why we are searching for instructors that not only love outdoor adventure and leadership, but that also have the interpersonal skills to connect with a wide variety of students. The students in this course come from a wide variety of backgrounds, whether that be in their faith, family structures, abilities, or past experiences – a dynamic that requires the instructors of the course to be versatile and adaptable in their interactions and instructions with the students. Because of the duration and physical demands of the course, instructors also need to have a high level of grit and endurance to remain grace-filled and patient under high stress situations.
Job responsibilities include: teaching technical skills, leading Bible discussions, and facilitating opportunities for students to develop leadership skills.
There will be three weeks of instructor training before the start of the BAC that will include training on both technical and soft skills. During sections of the course that require more technical skills, you will have assistance from the program coordinator, other guides, and/or volunteers.
Season Commitment: May 28, 2020 – August 18, 2020
Compensation: $1,000 – $1,500 depending on experience. Can fundraise additional support with the help of Peak 7. Food and housing provided.
BAC Instructor Requirements:
- Commitment to Jesus Christ which reflects in every aspect of his/her vocation and personal life
- 19 years of age or older
- Food Handlers Permit (Reimbursed by Peak 7 Adventures)
- Successful completion of Peak 7 Adventure’s BAC Instructors Course
- 2 year commitment
- Excellent physical condition
- Doctor’s physical within the last two years
- Previous Outdoor Leadership experience (desirable but not mandatory)
- Experience working with youth
- Knowledge and background in outdoor leadership
- Reading “Mountaineering: The Freedom of the Hills” book prior to season start
If you have any other questions, please Contact Us.